What to do if police say they smell marijuana
The Big Takeaways:
- The smell of marijuana is considered “probable cause” and police can search your car.
- Do NOT smoke in your vehicle. It’s the number one issue with pot smokers.
- Although legally not allowed to lie, police can “imagine” they see or smell Mary Jane
- Dirty car equals drugs in police officer’s minds
- Unfortunately stereotyping does happen. Your appearance, dress, and car may draw unwanted attention your way
- Know your rights: You don’t have to consent to a search…even if the cops say you look stoned.
- Don’t panic